- More people are looking to invest in property and real estate
- Toyota and Honda are still the most common cars in the country
- Sales of domestic generators are still on the up
- Marriages between age groups of 24-28yrs are increasingly popular
- Pure water (50cl water sold in a transparent bag) has in excess of 20 brands
- Wedding planning is also big business
- The MTNFastlink is one of the most used Internet connections (I’m using it now :D)
- More Nigerians go to Dubai for holiday/shopping than they do to London
- Growing numbers visit Ghana for short breaks (40mins away by plane)
- Slim neckties are in fashion and are here to stay
- Women’s handbags seem to have stopped getting bigger…just more flashy
- Blackberrys are in demand and the lingo ‘What’s your BB pin?’ is catching on fast
- There has been a surge in registrations with the Chartered Institute of Personnel Management of Nigeria (CIPM)
- The Banking industry is no longer as attractive as it used to be for job seekers
- The staggering Chelsea, ManU and Arsenal fanbase here is an untapped market
- Ralph Lauren Polo shirts (with number on sleeve and horse) are also very popular
- People have been receiving text messages stating that the NSE (our stock market) is picking up.
Interesting, I agree with you on most of your findings. I am currently using the MTN fastlink too..:) and the BB…I am naked without it.
I havent been home in three years. Good update. I still need you to change your theme, jo.
lai lai! 😀
I love reading about Nigeria, from your unbounded viewpoint. I think Africans often have the best sense of the absurd of anyone. Your posts are entertaining and enlightening, and I feel like I could even function there as an odd boy looking in, as you seem to be.
interesting trends! the one about blackberry is so true!